Step 1. Understand the harms of stress on your body, mind, relationships, and health – You do not need to be pushing and stressed to be productive. It actually makes you less productive.
Step 2. Understand the benefits of a Relaxed and Alert Lifestyle – A relaxed and alert state is a healthier and more productive way of being.
Step 3. Make a Firm Decision to reduce your stress level – This is the most important step. It must be a firm decision.
Step 4. Create a Plan
- Stress levels are based on your perceptions of stress, not necessarily the severity of the external causes.
- Some people living in highly stressful lives such as poverty can be happy and live relatively stress free.
- Some people living relatively low stress lives such as wealth can be miserable and stressed out. Money can help, but it can not buy happiness.
- It is possible to live a contented and relatively low stress life no matter what your external circumstances.
- Use relaxation techniques to reduce your current stress levels so you can think more clearly. Tools and techniques offered on this website can help!
- Reduce the stress causing factors you have control over in your life.
- Gain a new perspective on those factors you can not control that cause stress in your life.
- Create new habits! A new way of relating to your world.
Step 5. Do it!
- Catch yourself when you slip back into old poor habits. Remind yourself of the firm decision you made and why. Try again!
- Admire being relaxed and alert. Admire holding a calm mind in difficult situations.
- Congratulate yourself and celebrate when you use the new healthier habits and perceptions. Reinforce the positive gains you have made.